Appear as Council Delegation
At each Regular Council Meeting (see 2019 Council Calendar), Council invites presentations by citizens or other parties with concerns about issues affecting Maple Ridge.
Requests must be received at least one week prior to the scheduled meeting date at which you wish to appear. Requests must be written and include:
- the requester name*
- organization name, if applicable*
- address and daytime telephone number
- speaker name(s)*
- brief summary of the subject matter (two or three lines)*
- your request of Council, if applicable*, and
- any audio/visual needs
- visual material, either to be distributed in handouts, or to be shown on the screen, should be provided by email by 3:00 pm on the Thursday prior to the requested meeting for distribution to Council. Presentations to be shown on the screen are required in a PowerPoint format. Please note that emailed material larger than 8 MB will not come through the City's server and will have to be provided using a file sharing service or on a USB stick.
* note that this will be published on our website and in other public resources
If there is not an available time slot on your preferred meeting date, you will be contacted by a staff member of the Clerk's Department to make alternative arrangements for your request. Due to time constraints, it is necessary to limit delegation appearances to 10 minutes.The request can be mailed to:
City of Maple Ridge
11995 Haney Place
Maple Ridge, BC V2X 6A9
Requests may also be faxed to 604-467-7329 or emailed to the Director of Corporate Administration. A staff member will contact you to confirm your attendance at the meeting. Note that requests will be assessed in accordance with criteria in the Council Procedures Bylaw.
Council meetings generally take place the second and fourth Tuesday of the month beginning at 7:00 pm. Please check the meeting schedule for dates. Meetings take place in Council Chambers on the main floor of the Municipal Hall. Delegations are one of the first items of business on the agenda so it is important to be at the meeting by the designated start time. If you have made arrangements to use audio/visual equipment, it is recommended that you meet with a Clerk's Department representative 15 minutes before the start time.
When it is time for you to speak, the Mayor will ask you to come forward to the podium at the front of the Council Chamber. Please be sure to clearly state your name and address at the start of your presentation and speak directly into the microphone provided. You will be given a maximum of 10 minutes to make your presentation, after which the Mayor and/or Council members may ask you questions. If you wish to distribute your presentation to Council, you will need to provide nine copies - seven for the Mayor and Council,one for the Chief Administrative Officer and one for the Corporate Officer.
Once you have finished your presentation, you may resume your seat to watch the remainder of the meeting, or you may leave. If you elect to leave, please do so in a quiet, orderly manner so as not to interrupt the proceedings.